@crumbs_and_vanilla on Instagram, Twitter and Pinterest
175g (3/4 cup) Self raising flour
175g (3/4 cup) Unsalted butter
175g (3/4 cup) Caster sugar
2 tsp Vanilla extract
100g fresh rhubarb
2tbsp caster sugar
225ml (1 cup) fresh cream
340ml whole milk
115g (1/2 cup) caster sugar
1 vanilla bean, split lengthwise and scraped
6 egg yolks
250g (1 cup + 2 tbsp) unsalted butter (at room temperature)
600g (4 cups) sifted icing sugar/confectioners sugar
2 tbsp milk
§ Pre heat the oven to 140C/280F and prepare a 12 hole muffin tray
§ Cream the butter and sugar together
§ Sift in the flour and one egg
§ Add the eggs one at a time, giving the mixture a quick stir in between
§ Add the vanilla extract and stir
§ Divide the mixture between cases but do not over fill the cases
§ Bake for 20–25 mins, turning the tray half way through
§ Remove the cupcakes from the tray immediately and leave to cool
The Rhubarb Filling
· Chop the rhubarb into 1 inch pieces and mix with the sugar and vanilla into a saucepan
· Stir over a medium heat until all the sugar has dissolved
· Continue to cook until all the liquid has evaporated
· Allow to cool before blitzing with a food processor until smooth.
The Crème Anglais
- Mix the cream, milk, half of the sugar and the vanilla in a saucepan
- Simmer over medium heat until the mixture starts to bubble around the edge of the pan, for about 2 minutes, do not let it boil. Remove from the heat and let it stand for 20 minutes.
- Whisk the egg yolks with remaining sugar in a bowl before adiing some of the hot cream mixture into the egg yolk mixture, then swiftly whisk to combine.
- Add another ladle of the infused milk to the eggs until the egg mixture is warm to the touch.
- Pour the cream and egg mixture into the remaining cream in the saucepan, then return the pan to the heat.
- Continue to cook over medium heat while constantly stirring until the custard coats the back of a spoon for about 5–7 mins.
- Once the custard has thickened, remove from the heat and strain through a sieve into a medium bowl to remove any lumps and the vanilla pod.
- Place the custard in an ice bath to cool quickly and prevent overcooking.
§ Beat the butter for at least 5 mins (this makes the butter a lovely pale colour)
§ Add the icing sugar in two stages, beating the mixture for at least 5 mins between
§ Add the milk in very small amounts until the consistency of the buttercream is spreadable.
Scoop out the centre of each cupcake and fill with a teaspoon each of the rhubarb puree and the crème anglaise
Pipe the buttercream onto each cake and enjoy!